On the Way

Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
~ Psalm 84:5

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lonely Nation

She turns like the ocean
She tells no emotion
She’s been gunning down the fight
She’s just reminiscing
Blood, sweat, and one thing’s missing
She’s been breaking up inside, inside

Singing without tongues, screaming without lungs
I want more than my lonely nation,
I want more than my lonely nation
Desperate we are young. Separate we are one.
I want more than my desperation.
I want more than my lonely nation.

We are the target market. We set the corporate target.
We are slaves of what we want.
We’re just numb and amused and we’re just used to bad news and
We are slaves of what we want

Lonely, lonely

Don’t leave me hollow. I’m tired.
Don’t leave me hollow.
I’m tired of feeling low, of feeling hollow.
I’m tired of feeling low, of feeling hollow.

Written by Jon Foreman and Tim Foreman. All songs ©2005 Meadowgreen Music Company and Sugar Pete Songs / All right administered by EMI CMG Publishing (ASCAP). All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Behind the Song:
“Desperate times call for desperate measures. Over the course our time on the road as a band I have met so many amazing, beautiful, desperate, lonely people. We are the lonely nation. We are the disenchanted, the disillusioned- we are the remnant of lonely souls wanting more than anything that we can buy with this cold, hard cash. I wrote this song while we were playing a stretch of rock radio shows. I'd walk around near the back and just breathe in the loneliness- masses of lonely, scared kids. I remember thinking about the irony. Here you have this connected generation of online communities, IM, TM, myspace, and cell phones that grows more and more lonely every day. This is a song is still yearning, saying, "Don't settle, please, don't give up. Fight for only the true and the beautiful!" We wanted to start the record with this track because we feel that this song picks up where Meant to Live left off. There is hope for meaning and truth in this life but it probably doesn't come in the form of a corporate slogan. We, the target market, want more than this world has to offer. This is a song where tim and chad drive the verses and the guitars take the chorus. We've played this song many times live and refined it quite a bit from it's original state. There's nothing like playing a new song in front of real people with real opinions. The people at those shows, (the extended switchfoot family), they shaped this song as much as anyone.” – Jon Foreman (Switchfoot)

taken from http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/lyrics/new/track.asp?track_id=11116

No comments: