On the Way

Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
~ Psalm 84:5

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Daisy


Daisy give yourself away
Look up at the rain, the beautiful display of power and surrender
Giving us today when she gives herself away

Rain, another rainy day
Comes up from the ocean, to give herself away
She comes down easy on rich and debt the same when

Let it go, daisy let it go
Open up your fist this fallen world
Doesn’t hold your interest, it doesn’t hold your soul
Daisy let it go

Pain, give yourself a name
Call yourself contrition, avarice or shame
Giving isn’t easy, neither is the rain when she gives herself away

Daisy why another day
Why another sunrise. Who will take the blame
For all redemptive motion and every rainy day
He gives himself away

Let it go, daisy let it go
Let it go…

Written by Jon Foreman. All songs ©2005 Meadowgreen Music Company and Sugar Pete Songs / All right administered by EMI CMG Publishing (ASCAP). All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Behind the Song:
“Ah, daisy! sweet daisy... this one is my wife's favorite. I wrote it a while ago yet somehow it didn't make it onto the last record. I'm really thankful it didn't; I don't think we were ready for it then. Some songs age like wine and others age like milk finding a sour, over-thought, overproduced end. This one lasted for a long time and kept getting better. I feel really great about how it came out. In fact the end of the tune might be my favorite rock moment on the record, ironic because the beginning of the tune is anything but rock- so sparse and pretty. Because of the different tuning, it's a pain to get the guitar back to normal afterwards so we've never played this one live. I want to wait for just the right moment. I remember chad was hitting so hard on this one that he ended up breaking the kick pedal on the last hit of the song, he shouts out,'I think I broke the kick pedal!' We ended up cutting it out for the record because it seemed a little camp. Maybe we'll put it up online or something, because it needs to be heard. Classic Chad: the man with the iron foot strikes again!

For me, this is an appropriate way to finish the record- A song about letting go. When we're making an album I tend to go into this mode where all I think about is the record, the record, the record- in very unhealthy ways at times. I usually put a lot of pressure on myself because the music means so much to me. but like everything else, a record has a beginning and an end. You have to put the brush down and walk away. I'm not sure I've done that yet but I'm working on it! I've heard it said that a record is never completed, you just move on to the next one. I'm very proud of this record and feel like this is better than anything we've done so far and yet I'm anxious to beat it. Thanks for listening and thanks for reading.” – Jon Foreman (Switchfoot)

No comments: