On the Way

Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
~ Psalm 84:5

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Afraid of bad news?

For the righteous will never be moved;
he will be remembered forever.
He is not afraid of bad news;
his heart is firm, trusting in the Lord.
His heart is steady; he will not be afraid,
until he looks in triumph on his adversaries.

~ Psalm 112:6-8

A former boss and friend relayed Psalm 112:7 to me soon after giving me some very bad news which devastated me and my family.  It seemed a cold slap in the face at the time.  I've come to treasure this passage though not always.  Sometimes, many times, I still live in fear of bad news.  And when the bad happens, I can be undone and my faith can be really tested.

Here's what the always helpful ESV Study Bible has to say:

Ps. 112:6–8 never be moved. See note on 15:5c; verses 7–8 of Psalm 112 describe his security. be remembered. By the people, just as they remember the Lord's own wondrous works (111:4), and perhaps by the Lord himself, who remembers his covenant forever (112:6). The righteous is not afraid of bad news, because he fears the Lord (112:1).

No comments: