On the Way

Blessed are those whose strength is in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.
~ Psalm 84:5

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bible reading program for Shirkers & Slackers

After obsessing which I do yearly over which Bible reading plan if any to adopt for the new year, I had pondered and semi-resolved to do a fairly ambitious plan from my new ESV Study Bible--not as involved as the classic McCheyne plan where you read the NT twice, the Psalms twice and the OT once--but still a weighty, consecutive plan.
After falling behind within the first week while dealing with significant mood swings and struggles, I had a plan 'crisis' and re-thought what I should do if any.
I was drawn back to a plan I first heard of several years ago in the excellent Critique magazine put out my Ransom Fellowship. Margie Haack, the female half of the dynamic team of that blessed ministry recounts her struggle which is a very common one, I bet, of trying to stick with a Bible reading plan especially in getting through the 'boring parts' as we deal with the often hectic pace of modern life.
This plan has merits. It also has weight as you'll see. It will take you through the entire Bible at your own pace by having you read 7 different parts of Scripture during the week---one different section per day--so if you miss a day, you can always come back and read it next week or read it at your leisure. She herself got through the Bible in a year and a half.
Here's the link:
http://www.ransomfellowship.org/articledetail.asp?AID=378&B=Margie%20Haack&TID=7

No comments: